Saturday, January 21, 2012

Friends - Friend (Dog) & Food

Everyday here, I have wonderful little happenings.  Everything is a new and intersting experience.  I can't help but want to share them.  I write them down in a little day planner someone gave me every night. But here on my blog I will share them as often as I can.  In my newsletter will be more important updates (my job, etc). 


I have been here 2 Weeks now!

This weeks Interesting Happenings:

Friends

This is Sheena.  She is the other volunteer that just arrived.  We have made fast companions. We are set to explore all that Ooty has to offer, we have enjoyed shopping at little shops together, walking to and from work together, etc.  She is a great girl!

She is from Ireland. :)  Ha ha - we can understand each other in a lot of ways, but she still says some words that I've never heard :) (runners, spot, wee, jumper).  She is also 22! :)

Friend (Dog)

And this is my new friend, Wooly!  Ha ha ....I have earned my friendship with the Fraser's Dog at Farley!  Last Sunday I threw a blanket on the lawn and started reading, all of a sudden Wooly came over and laid on the blanket with me - I was so happy inside - determined to make this dog my friend.  I love dogs!
   
Food

I am making connections with people here that I am so thankful for.  I see how God puts people in my path that relate to what I need am called to do.  So I am so thankful to the Lord for providing a family in the house I live in, people with horses, an Indian couple that teach at a missionary school who love hospitality, etc, etc.  And with all of these things come opportunities, and community.

So tonight the couple that love hospitality invited me over with a group of people, the men had a trustee meeting, while the wife taught the woman how to make some traditional Indian food!  I wish I had pictures!

It was wonderful.  She had a cutting board for each of us and we all piled in the kitchen each provided an apron and made 10 different vegetable dishes, 1 chicken dish!  It was phenomenal - I thought I was a good cook at home - but it is so silly how lost I feel in the kitchen here. There are so many vegetables and spices that I have never seen before! :)  Common Spices (curry, red chile power! (the hot stuff!), cumin, tumeric, cardimom, coriander, saffron, fenugreek.  Common Vegetables: Okra, bittergourd, eggplant, cucumber, chile, potato, zucchini, tomato, onion.   


I want to experience everything that I can here - That is a huge part of learning about a new culture.  I am so excited to be here long enough to form relationships, get submerged into a different culture, and participate in it.  

It is beautiful to have this experience!  I encourage you to do it too!!



Love, 
Shy

No comments:

Post a Comment